The EPA’s proposed remedy for the radioactive waste illegally buried at the West Lake Landfill in Bridgeton, Mo., removes only 70 percent of the radioactive waste, leaving 30 percent of the lethal material still in place. The Franciscan Sisters of Mary, in accord with neighbors and others concerned about our environment, find this remedy unacceptable.
The EPA’s public comment period runs from the date of their release of the proposal (February 6, 2018) until March 22. During this time the public is encouraged to contact Region 7 of the EPA, headquartered in Lenexa, Kansas, to make known their opinions and concerns about West Lake’s radioactive contamination.
You can contact the EPA online or through regular mail.
The e-mail address to express your comments is:
R7_WestLakeLandfillPublicComments@epa.gov. (Note the underscore following R7.)
To send a letter, write:
Office of Public Affairs
US EPA Region 7
11201 Renner Blvd
Lenexa, KS 66219
Mailed comments must be postmarked by March 22, 2018.
FSM is advocating for the following:
- As complete as possible a removal of all radioactive source material from the West Lake Landfill;
- Offsite storage of the removed radioactive waste to a receptacle properly prepared and certified to safely receive and permanently sequester radioactive materials; and
- Voluntary buyout of residents living within a one-mile radius of the West Lake property line before evacuation begins.
Every comment is important! Please help if you are able.
The FSM have supported remediation at West Lake Landfill since 2012.